"Reason is always a kind of brute force; those who appeal to the head rather than the heart, however pallid and polite, are necessarily men of violence. We speak of 'touching' a man's heart, but we can do nothing to his head but hit it." --G.K. Chesterton

Saturday, February 25, 2012

You start with the facts

A long-time council-watcher (who is often very critical of council actions) sent me a lengthy note the other day congratulating me for my outspoken commentary at last Monday's council meeting. Besides thanking her, I didn't quite know what to say, but thought she'd appreciate this, which I'll share with you now:

I am so pleased that you appreciate my fact-based approach to issues, one that often has me at odds with many of my colleagues. My years as a reporter taught me the value of gathering facts. My years as an opinion writer trained me in analysis. My years as an editor taught me how to stand my ground. And my experience as a father taught me the value of humour!

No comments:

Post a Comment